Italy stole my heart from the moment I set foot in it. I spent 4 months living in and traveling though this beautiful country and I couldn’t get enough. I explored the big cities and the picturesque small towns, toured beautiful cathedrals and ate my weight in delicious gelato. La bella vita took hold of me and ever since I’ve been constantly plotting ways to go back.
One of the hardest parts of planning my trip to Italy was figuring out what to pack. The weather in Italy can be different depending on which part of the country you are visiting and there are so many different outdoor adventures to be had. The struggle was real. I ended up packing WAY to much and still managed to forget some essentials.
So to help you not make the same mistakes as I did, I put together this ultimate packing list for Italy in the summer!
Tops & Layers
I like to pack neutral color tops when I travel, so that I can mix and match for several outfits. I tend to buy bright color accessories, like a hat or necklace, as a souvenir to add a pop of color to my outfits.
- Black off-the-shoulder top– This is the perfect top to dress up or down! You can wear this to dinner or the beach.
- Bella t-shirt– Live the bella vita in this top!
- Striped Long Sleeve– This is perfect for layering and goes with everything.
- Black Sweater– Keep this in your bag to wear in case it gets chilly at night or if the AC gets a bit too aggressive.
Shorts & Pants-
- Denim shorts & white shorts– These are perfect for exploring coastal towns and general sight seeing
- Jeans– Many of the cathedrals and churches across Italy require you to have your knees covered, so these will be perfect for exploring the Vatican!
Dresses & Rompers-
I love dresses and rompers because they are quick and easy outfits that pack easily and usually don’t look too bad if they get a little wrinkled.
- Pom Pom Dress– This dress is perfect for sightseeing! It’s long enough to wear to cathedrals with a sweater but breezy enough to keep you cool.
- Off the Shoulder Dress– I always pack a bright color to pop in Instagram photos! Imagine how pretty this dress would look against the backdrop of Cinque Terre’s colorful buildings. #DoItForTheInsta
- Yellow Romper or White Romper– These are perfect for exploring or the beach!
Shoes & Sandals-
I try to only bring two or three pairs when I travel since they take up so much room. I never pack heels when I travel unless I’m traveling to a wedding or event. Instead, I pack a nice pair of flats or buy a killer pair of heels in my destination.
- Basic Sandals– These sandals can be dressed up or down and match with almost anything!
- Nude Flats– I wear these to dinner or to attractions that require closed toe shoes.
- Sneakers– I always pack a pair of walking sneakers. These are great for hikes and days when you know you will be doing lots of walking.
Bathing suits are an essential for any packing list for Italy if you are planning on visiting coastal towns!
- One piece– I always like to pack a one piece for more active water activities like scuba diving. It’s also good if you forget a bit of sunscreen when you wear your two piece.
- Bright Bikini– Perfect for lounging under an adorable umbrella on a perfect Italian beach.
- Cover-up– Gotta have sun protection!
Bags & Accessories-
- Crossbody Purse– This is great for going out or to carry on days you don’t want to bring a backpack. Try and find one that will fit your passport without bending so that you can use it during transit.
- Backpack– This is great for sight-seeing days! It will hold your camera, important documents, a sweater and still have room for souvenirs!
- Scarf– I always bring a large scarf when I travel. It’s perfect to cover up at attractions that require it or just to keep warm in AC restaurants. If it’s big enough it can also double as a beach cover-up or towel. It can also be a blanket on the plane. The possibilities are endless!
- Sunglasses– Keep the sun out of your eyes so you can enjoy the views 😎
Carry- On Essentials-
- In-Flight Organizer– This organizer is my favorite thing in my carry-on! I make sure that everything I need is in this organizer so that I don’t need to dig into my bag every five minutes. It fits perfectly in the seat pocket!
- Eye-Mask– A girl needs her beauty sleep!
- Battery Phone Case– We are all guilty of using our phone too much, especially when trapped on an airplane. More battery means you can squeeze an extra hour or two of CandyCrush before your phone dies.
- Headphones– Noise canceling headphones are your best friend on a long haul flight.
Even as a travel blogger, I am super picky about how many electronics I bring with me when I travel. I like to keep my gear lightweight but functional.
- Sony a5000– I swear by this camera! I had never shot in manual when I first bought this camera and yet every single shot came out like I had been practicing for ages! Now that I am more comfortable, there are lens and things I can experiment with. Because it is mirrorless it is more small and compact than a traditional DSLR.
- GoPro– I shoot all of my travel videos on my GoPro! It’s perfect for water activities or anywhere you might worry about bringing your fancier camera. It’s also great for taking a killer selfie. Check out fellow blogger My Life’s A Movie’s amazing guide on taking awesome GoPro selfies!
- Skyroam Mobile Hotspot– If you are traveling long term or are a digital nomad, reliable wifi is a must. Skyroam allows you to buy an all-day unlimited data pass for only $8. Perfect for getting work done (or scrolling through Facebook) on a long bus ride!
- Travel Adapter– Make sure that all your electronics can charge, no matter what country you are in. A travel adapter is essential for any packing list for Italy.
I hope you enjoyed this packing list for Italy in the summer. Let me know if I missed anything in the comments!
Like this packing list for Italy? PIN IT!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click through to one of the product links, I’ll earn a small percentage at no extra cost to you. All proceeds go to keeping this site up and running.